Thursday, January 20, 2011

Five Minutes With ...

Throughout the 2010-11 academic year, the North Coast Athletic Conference will give you an in-depth look into the lives of the student-athletes, administrators and faculty members of the conference who epitomize what it means to compete, study and educate at the NCAA Div. III level. We hope that this feature will help people gain a better understanding of why individuals have decided to make NCAA Div. III a cornerstone of their life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Abena Boamah-Acheampong

Hometown/High School: Reynoldsburg, OH/Pickerington Central

Institution: The College Of Wooster

Major: Psychology

Minor (s): Mathematics & Education

Sport: Track & Field


Why did you choose to attend an NCAA Division III institution?

ABA: I decided to come to The College of Wooster because I always wanted to go to a small liberal arts school, and they have great academics and a good track and field program.


If you could trade places with someone for a day, who would it be and why?

ABA: Dr. Ben Carson, so that I could perform a brain surgery!


How would you most accurately describe or define the ideals on which the NCAA Div. III was founded?

ABA: I think that NCAA Div. III athletics ideals are founded on sportsmanship and competition but overall the quality of the academic programs that the schools have.


People may be surprised to know that ……

ABA: I am a huge Harry Potter fan.

How has your experience been in balancing athletics and academics at your institution?

ABA: With this experience I have learned how to manage my time really well and I have learned so much about myself. Overall it has been a very good experience, so far I have learned so many things and met some very great friends.


If you are stranded on an island, you would like to be with ……

ABA: If I was stranded on an island I would like to be stuck with someone that has survived being stranded island before and my best friend.


What is the life of a student-athlete studying Psychology like at Wooster?

ABA: I think that it can sometimes be stressful, but at the end of the day being part of the psychology department and also being an athlete is a pretty great life!


Do you have any hidden talents that very few people know about?

ABA: I have played the piano ever since I was five years old!

No comments: