Friday, March 16, 2012

Five Minutes With ... Molly Goolman


Kenyon College sophomore softball player Molly Goolman
Name: Molly Goolman

Hometown/High School: Lancaster, NH/St. Johnsbury Academy (VT)

Institution: Kenyon College           

Majors: Biology and History

Sport: Softball


·       I am originally from … Lancaster, NH

·       Why did you choose to attend a NCAA Division III institution? The ability to play sports while studying at a top-tier school drew me to Division III immediately. I can’t imagine college without sports.

·       How would you describe the philosophy of NCAA Div. III? Division III allows students to use sports to prepare them for life after college, in addition to the benefits gained from the classroom. The nature of Division III athletics invites students to apply lessons learned on the field or court to situations that follow graduation.

·       How has your experience been in balancing athletics and academics at Kenyon? Kenyon is an extremely strong academic setting, but I find my time management skills to be much better when I’m in-season than when I’m out of season. It helps that many of the professors here are some of our biggest fans!

·       How would you best describe your normal day as a student-athlete at the NCAA Div. III level? I.e. What do you do all day? It’s pretty simple: Class, practice, homework. It sounds monotonous, but the fact that I’m surrounded by friends and fellow student-athletes all day makes it easier.

·       Favorite thing about Kenyon? The best part about Kenyon is that it’s full of Ivy League-caliber students who don’t need the label of a more widely known institution. It also happens to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

·       Favorite thing about the NCAC? It’s small, so you really get to know the teams and even the individual athletes you compete against.

·       What do you want to be when you grow up? A patent lawyer for a pharmaceutical company

·       If you could trade places with someone for a day, who would it be and why? Kate Middleton. Who doesn’t want to be a princess for a day?

·       People may be surprised to know that ……I’m a black belt in Shotokan karate.

·       If you are stranded on an island, you would like to be with ……My mom. We could make each other laugh the entire time.

·       Do you have any hidden talents that very few people know about? I’m a pretty decent welder.

·       Do you have one coach and/or professor that has impacted your career the most at Kenyon? Biology professor Kathy Gillen. She’s always around to help me make decisions, or at least listen to me argue with myself about them, whether it’s about school or sports or life in general. Once I make up my mind, she’s always really supportive. She’s even made it to a few softball games!

·       if you could be a superhero which special power would you choose to have? The ability to zap myself anywhere whenever I want.

·       Which historical sporting event would you have liked to witness? The New York Mets beating the Boston Red Sox in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Bottom of the tenth with one strike left? That’s why we play sports.

·       What’s your favorite sports team/Who’s your favorite athlete? The Minnesota Vikings. Being a Vikings fan is a lot like breaking up with your boyfriend every week for 16 weeks, but when they pull out a win I smile all week long.

·       Any Pet Peeves? When cars don’t stop for people waiting at crosswalks. That’s just rude.

·       Favorite ice cream? Rocky Road

No comments: