Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Five Minutes With ... Kimmie Dyer

Wittenberg Senior Volleyball Player Kimmie Dyer
Name: Kimmie Dyer

Hometown/High School: Copley, OH/Copley

Institution: Wittenberg University

Major: Business

Sport: Volleyball

I am originally from ... Copley, Ohio

Why did you choose to attend a NCAA Division III institution? I knew I wanted to play volleyball in college and I was looking for a smaller school with a good academic reputation.  Division III seemed to be what I was looking for.

How would you describe the philosophy of NCAA Div. III?  You are a true student-athlete in Division III.  School comes first, and then sports.

How has your experience been in balancing athletics and academics at Wittenberg? I’ve had a fairly easy time balancing athletics and academics.  All of my professors are really understanding when we have to miss class for volleyball.  They are usually flexible and will let me make up tests at my convenience.  My coach was also good at making sure we were getting our work done with activities like study tables and academic meetings. 

How would you best describe your normal day as a student-athlete at the NCAA Div. III level? Wake up and go to class, then go to practice, come home and eat dinner then do homework.

Favorite thing about Wittenberg? The sense of community and the people.

Favorite thing about the NCAC? The schools are relatively close together so we don’t have to travel too far to play most matches.

What do you want to be when you grow up? I’m not exactly sure, but I know I want to do something in marketing or public relations.

People may be surprised to know that ... I am obsessed with Shaquille O’Neal.

What aspect of being a student-athlete at the Div. III level, do you hope to take with you into your professional life? Time management skills

What has been your most memorable moment in athletics during your collegiate career? Winning a National Championship!

What’s currently playing on your I-Pod? Amy MacDonald – This Is The Life

Do you have one coach and/or professor that has impacted your career the most at Wittenberg? My coach Paco Labrador.  He is such a great coach and knows so much about the game of volleyball.  He puts a lot of effort into what he does and it shows in all the success his teams have had.  He has also taught me some really valuable life lessons over the last couple of years.

Who do you look up to? My sister

If you could be a superhero which special power would you choose to have? Time travel

If you could excel at any competitive sport (other than your own) which would you choose? Soccer

Who’s your favorite athlete? Shaq.  He is so cool, especially what he does outside of basketball, like being a police officer.  He’s also really funny.

Any Pet Peeves? I don’t like when the sheets come un-tucked from the bottom of my bed

Favorite ice cream? Graeters' Black Raspberry Chip

No comments: