Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Five Minutes With ...

Throughout the 2010-11 academic year, the North Coast Athletic Conference will give you an in-depth look into the lives of the student-athletes, administrators and faculty members of the conference who epitomize what it means to compete, study and educate at the NCAA Div. III level. We hope that this feature will help people gain a better understanding of why individuals have decided to make NCAA Div. III a cornerstone of their life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Sean Patrick

Hometown/High School: Delaware, OH/Delaware Hayes High School

Institution: Ohio Wesleyan University

Major: Early Childhood Education

Minor: History

Sport: Track & Field



• Why did you choose to attend a NCAA Division III institution?

SP: I wanted to be given the opportunity to compete in a sport and excel in the classroom. Division III allowed me to be a scholar and an athlete.



• If you could trade places with someone for a day, who would it be and why?

SP: I would have to choose Norman Vincent Peale. He was an OWU graduate and the author of many great Christian inspirational books. I have done quite a bit of research on him for my independent study this year. His mindset on the Power of Positive Thinking changed many people’s lives, including mine.



• How would you most accurately describe or define the ideals on which the NCAA Div. III was founded?

SP: Division III has a strict focus on scholarship. Athletics combined with education, creates a framework where graduates of Division III institutions are able to develop well-rounded skill sets.



• People may be surprised to know that ……

SP: I live at home and have for the past four years of college. I love my family and enjoy spending the time with them at home. Also, I have saved a great deal of money choosing to live at home.



• How has your experience been in balancing athletics and academics at Ohio Wesleyan?

SP: I have been able to balance both academics and athletics pretty efficiently over the past four years. I have competed in football, soccer and track during my time in college. Participating in athletics actually helps me stay focused on my school work.


• If you are stranded on an island, you would like to be with ……

SP: I would have to choose my Gram. I love all my family and would choose any of them, but my Gram is a lot of fun and is my inspiration to live my life to the fullest.



• What is the life of a student-athlete studying Early Childhood Education like at Ohio Wesleyan?

SP: Studying education at OWU is rigorous and exciting. The reason that I chose OWU was for the education department. They have done everything to prepare me for student teaching, which I will be completing next semester. It is a challenge as an athlete to do both because of the amount of time that both responsibilities require. I would not change it for the world, even though both are time consuming, they are both intrinsically rewarding.


• Do you have any hidden talents that very few people know about?

SP: I used to sing in choir for 6 years and I sang at Carnegie Hall with my choir. I am a decent singer, not amazing, but decent. I can hit every note when I turn the music loud enough…



• What aspect of being a student-athlete at the Div. III level, do you hope to take with you into your professional life?

SP: As a future educator, I hope to take my dedication to being a “well-rounded” individual into my teaching career. Each student that I encounter will have a different set of skills and a varying level of ability. This will allow me to instill in each student the passion to further all their abilities whether they are a weakness or strength. I want them to realize that hard work and dedication surpasses raw ability.



• What has been your most memorable moment in athletics during your collegiate career?

SP: I would have to say that the most memorable moment was done while organizing and hosting the Bishop Champion Games. This is a special needs track and field meet that my fellow OWU athletes and I put on each year. This will be the third year that we will host the games and each year I have a more memorable experience than the last. Seeing these athletes compete and give it everything that they have replaces any of the conference titles, national qualifying marks and team conference titles that I have been a part of over the past 4 years.


• What would you like to accomplish, both in academics and athletics, before you graduate?

SP: I have qualified for the national meet twice but never went so this year hopefully will be the year I can compete at the meet. The outdoor nationals are at OWU this year so ending my senior year at home competing would be rewarding. Academically, I want to do an excellent job student teaching. I will be working in two buildings where I hope to get a job teaching after I graduate.


• What’s currently playing on your I-Pod?

SP: Secrets by OneRepublic



• Do you have one coach and or professor in mind that has impacted your career the most at Ohio Wesleyan?

SP: Dr. McClure in the education department has truly dedicated her time towards preparing me to reach my potential. I am very thankful for her dedication as well as the dedication of Gayle Reidenbach to my future as a teacher.



• What is your most prized possession?

SP: My student Bible with notes. I entrench my life in faith in my Savior. I am blessed to have an unyielding faith that with God all things are possible.



• What is the most important life lesson you learned while competing at the NCAA Div. III level?

SP: You can truly impact the world around you. In a world where monotony and mediocrity dominate, I have had the chance here at OWU to make a difference in my community and in my athletic sphere.



• How many hours a week do you spend on Facebook?

SP: Well…. More than I should. Probably on average around 15 minutes a day.



• What would be your advice for someone that is considering enrolling as a student-athlete at a NCAA Div. III institution?

SP: If you look to be a scholar athlete look no further than Division III. It is the true definition of scholarship.

• How would you best describe your normal day as a student-athlete at the NCAA Div. III level?

SP: Class, teaching at Willis, lifting with my boys on the track team, maybe play a little basketball, practice, eating as much as possible, homework, reading my Bible and if there is time left playing some NCAA Football on XBOX

No comments: