Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Five Minutes With ...

Throughout the 2010-11 academic year, the North Coast Athletic Conference will give you an in depth look into the lives of the student-athletes, administrators and faculty members of the conference who epitomize what it means to compete, study and educate at the NCAA Div. III level. To accomplish this task, the conference office has conducted question and answer sessions with member school student-athletes, administrators and faculty members. We hope that this feature will help people gain a better understanding of why individuals have decided to make NCAA Div. III a cornerstone of their life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Brandon Jacobs

Hometown/High School: Burlington, New Jersey/The Hill School

Institution: The College of Wooster

Major (s): Communication Studies and Sociology

Sport (s): Indoor/Outdoor Track


• Why did you choose to attend a NCAA Division III institution?

BJ: I got the chance to do everything I wanted to do and more…I chose to attend Wooster because it gave me a chance to play a sport at a high Division III level, receive a great education and take part in the Senior Independent Study project at Wooster. Along with being the S.A.A.C president, DJ on my radio show, working in the Admissions office, and so much more, Wooster gave me a chance to be much more than just a student-athlete..


• If you could trade places with someone for a day, who would it be and why?

BJ: Nick Cannon…therefore I would be married to Mariah Carey. We’re destined to be. She may not know it yet, but we are.


• People may be surprised to know that ……

BJ: Just couldn’t wait…I was born premature. 3 pounds and 12 ounces to be exact. And exactly 2 months early. Probably why I’m so tall today.


• How has your experience been in balancing athletics and academics at your institution?

BJ: Extremely rewarding. My experience of balancing both athletics and academics has been extremely rewarding in more ways than one. I believe playing a sport in college has actually helped with my academics because it has forced me to be on a strict schedule and prioritize my time.


• If you are stranded on an island, you would like to be with ……

BJ: Zach Galifianakis…If I’m stranded on an island, I would be want to be entertained a least right??


• What is the life of a student-athlete studying Communication Studies and Sociology like at Wooster?

BJ: A lot easier than I thought it would be…Being a double major and a student-athlete is a little harder than most because you have to take a certain amount of classes to fit into your curriculum; however at Wooster it was a lot easier than I expected. Because all of our classes end at 4:00 p.m. each day, I have been able to take all the classes I wanted to take and fit in two majors despite also being a student-athlete.


• Do you have any hidden talents that very few people know about?

BJ: Chubby bunny…I can fit an average of 12 marshmallows in my mouth at any given time.


• What aspect of being a student-athlete at the Div. III level, do you hope to take with you into your professional life?

BJ: The ability to work with and be part of a team. I believe one of the best aspects of being a student-athlete at the Div. III level is the ability to meet such a wide range of people, teammates, and those around you on campus. Div. III athletics allow you to work together with a greater group of people who actually care about the sport, past just an obligation, but rather for the enjoyment. This chance to work with a team will be very helpful in the rest of my life.


• What would you like to accomplish, both in academics and athletics, before you graduate?

BJ: In academics, I would like to experience the chance to study abroad, which I will be doing this spring break when I travel to Kenya. In athletics, I would like to take first place in the long jump in at least one meet this year.


• What’s currently playing on your I-Pod?

BJ: “Mama Song”—Boyz II Men….(I hear her even on my iPod)


• Do you have one coach and or professor in mind that has impacted your career the most at the College of Wooster?

BJ: Dr. Thomas Tierney of the College of Wooster Sociology Department. Professor Tierney is my academic advisor and I consider him to be one of my really good friends. Without his desire to see me through a lot of my career, I do no believe I would be a Sociology major or where I am today.


• What is your most prized possession?

BJ: They keep me going…My three younger brothers.


• How many hours a week do you spend on Facebook?

BJ: I have over 2,300 friends…You really don’t want to know the answer to this question.


• What would be your advice for someone that is considering enrolling as a student-athlete at a NCAA Div. III institution?

BJ: Choose a school for you, not athletics. My advice to any student-athlete at a NCAA Div. III institution would be to choose a college that fits you best and you can see yourself at without playing a sport. Sports will not last forever and you never know what can happen to end your career. However, you want to find a school that fits you best based on all your wants, not just athletics. I’m a living example of this idea.


• How would you best describe your normal day as a student-athlete at the NCAA Div. III level?

BJ: Never boring, that’s for sure…If its not in the weight room or studying for a test the next day, the life of student-athlete at the NCAA Div. III level is definitely always changing. We have so much going on that it helps that we are able to adapt to new things and still have fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you running fo President? MOM